Family Law Attorney
Virtual family law firm with headquarters in Austin, serving Central Texas, with cases throughout the state of Texas. Work from anywhere in Texas within a maximum of one hour’s distance by air travel from Austin (strong preference for Austin or Dallas).
ABOUT LAZAR LAW
Lazar Law provides caring and supportive legal services to those dealing with divorce or custody issues. We are the go-to firm for complicated family law situations. Our compassionate team guides clients to a post-divorce life that exceeds their expectations. Founder, Jodi Lazar, was named a 2022 Top Lawyer by Austin Monthly Magazine.
What employees say about Lazar Law:
- Truly values and appreciates employees.
- Amazing teamwork.
- Great benefits and work/life balance.
You will be joining a growth-minded firm that prioritizes exceptional client services and results. You will be part of a team where firm culture is paramount. You are motivated by being a hero to our clients; are methodical, meticulous, and organized; lead by example; and take pride in your work. You have a deep appreciation and affinity for firm systems. The ideal candidate has strong analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills; explores solutions that are not cookie-cutter; has a passion for advocating for clients in all aspects of family law, and has experience managing and directing paralegals. In addition, the ideal candidate will have all the following:
- Four to seven years of recent family law experience, including handling a range of family law issues (child support, child custody, domestic violence and mediation) and trial/courtroom experience (both virtual and in-person).
- Experience prioritizing client needs and a history of providing outstanding client service.
- Confident, diligent, and skillful in managing a case from intake through resolution.
- Able to maintain composure, negotiate, and argue effectively even in emotional and high-stress situations.
- Impeccable integrity, attention to detail and ability to maintain confidential information.
- Critical thinker who is comfortable working both collaboratively and independently.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, adaptability, and exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Strong work ethic and strives for quality excellence – not perfection.
- A passion for organizational systems and processes.
- Experience with a virtual work environment (both technology and personal management skills).
ABOUT THE JOB
The Family Law Attorney is an integral team member who plays a critical role in supporting our clients, our founder, and in all aspects of preparing for and representing clients in family law matters. You will be instrumental at every stage of the process from case inception to completion, be a key point of contact for clients, and will direct the work of legal assistants and/or paralegal(s).
- Manage a caseload of family law matters, including divorce, custody, child support, spousal support, and property division.
- Draft legal documents, including pleadings, motions, and agreements.
- Represent clients in court proceedings, including hearings, trials, and mediations.
- Communicate with clients to provide legal advice and update them on the progress of their cases.
- Collaborate with our founder and staff to develop legal strategies and ensure the best possible outcome for clients.
- Supervise, revise, and approve legal documents prepared by paralegals and legal assistants.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in Texas and a member in good standing with the State Bar of Texas.
- 4-7 years of recent Texas family law experience.
- Be available and prepared for legal team meetings which take place at 8am, Monday through Friday.
- Be available during firm operating hours of 8am-5pm, Monday through Friday.
- Comfortable with technology and able to learn new programs (such as Microsoft Suite, ShareFile, DropBox, and Zoom, among others).
- Maintain a State of Texas notary commission or be willing to register as a notary.
- Fluent in English and eligible to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
- This is a remote position; however, the ideal candidate must reside in Texas (with a strong preference for Austin or Dallas) within a maximum of one hour’s distance by air travel from Austin. This proximity is necessary for monthly in-person team meetings, in-person meetings and mediations with clients, and court appearances.
- Travel requirements: travel for in-person client meetings, mediations and court appearances, as needed; attend a monthly team meeting in Austin or Dallas (1.5 days/month). The firm covers travel and accommodation.
- Billable requirement: 1,440 annual minimum.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- This is a full-time, exempt role (not eligible for overtime pay).
- Annual base salary range: $100,000 – $140,000 (depending on billing rate).
- Bonus structure above billable annual requirement.
- Paid time off for all employees (immediately eligible after hire) includes: 10 company holidays; last 1-2 weeks of the calendar year.
- Lazar Law offers outstanding benefits after 90 days of employment, including:
- Fully paid employer health insurance with a low deductible.
- Paid sick and vacation time off, above and beyond holiday and year-end closures.
- 401(k) with employer match.
- This position is virtual. We have office space available in Austin. For candidates local to the area, you have the option to work from the office.
- To apply, email a brief cover letter expressing your interest in our firm and your resume to email@example.com. Include “Attorney” and your name in the subject line of your email.
- We hope to hire as quickly as possible and will accept applications until the position is filled.
Our Areas of Practice
Jodi and her team were beyond thorough, respectful, and diligent. Let alone being a complete joy to work with, Jodi and the team really had my best interests at heart and it showed with every step they made. I owe my future to them and would recommend working with Lazar law to anyone.
– Frances G.